Sunday, March 18, 2012

I want to REFRESH my mind, DELETE all my problems, UNDO all my mistakes, and SAVE those amazing moments. --Unknown

http://www.gloucestercitynews.net/.a/6a00d8341bf7d953ef0163011a0939970d-800wi


Hello families--

We're all smiling because everyone's got a clean slate as we embark on the final trimester of our 2011-2012 school year! Hang on tight: I guarantee this trimester will literally fly by!

Conferences are behind us (Thank you, parents who were able to stop by!), and there is much to accomplish in the weeks and months ahead. Most notable: fifth and sixth grade parents will be able to access grades in PowerSchool now, which means that those students characteristically late in completing class/homework will seriously need to rethink work habits. I know I have been reiterating the need for parents to check planners to be sure their children are staying current their assignments, and this is why. You may soon see zeros where grades would otherwise be. (One zero can seriously impact a grade average, and multiple zeros will be catastrophic!) Please, please help your children by talking with them about their work and by initializing their planners.

In the week ahead:

  • LANGUAGE ARTS: Grade 5 will complete the first draft of their persuasive writing pieces tonight and their final draft by the middle of this week. Sixth grade students should have them turned in by now. They need to finish their Responses to Literature (RTL). I gave them extra time to finish reading their books for the first half of March, but we need to move on, now. I will not accept them after Wednesday. I will assess the RTLs by the end of this week, and record them into PowerSchool soon after. Next, we're on to our Research Report topic, which I believe everyone will find interesting and fun to complete. More on that topic (be sure to check here for necessary links!) in the days ahead.
  • SPELLING AND GRAMMAR: Grade 6 will complete Unit 19, as well as a packet of independent Language Arts and Literacy worksheets. More and more, students should become accustomed to finding opportunities in school and out to complete these activities. They can expect them each week until the end of May. (Although I may hand out assignments on a day-to-day basis instead of creating a larger weekly packet. Those always seem daunting!)
  • SOCIAL STUDIES: Grade 6 will complete The Sealed Box Activity (only) in Section 3: The Shores of Virginia on Monday. Click here for the website to accompany this activity. (We'll do The Original Settlers Activity on Wednesday.)
  • SOCIAL STUDIES: Grade 5 will complete the Navigator's Log Activity in Section 2: Across the Atlantic on Tuesday. Click here for the website to accompany this activity.
  • SOCIAL STUDIES: Grade 6 will complete the Original Settlers Activity in Section 3: The Shores Of Virginia on Wednesday. Click here for the website to accompany this activity.
  • SOCIAL STUDIES: Grade 5 will complete the Original Settlers Activity in Section 3: The Shores Of Virginia on Thursday. Click here for the website to accompany this activity..
To date, I have received only 8 responses to my (bright yellow) Request for Volunteers letter. (Thank you to those who sent them back to me!) The end of the school year is extremely hectic for everyone, I realize, but it will take all of us pitching in to create a memorable end-of-year experience for our kids. I will be in touch with those who have expressed an interest in certain areas, and we'll go from there. Also, based on the feedback I received, it looks like we'll each be purchasing our own yearbooks this year.To be honest, this will save a lot of time and effort! I'll get back to you with projected costs.

Enjoy this wonderful, warm weather! My goodness, it's supposed to get up to 80 degrees on Wednesday.

Teri