Friday, January 18, 2013

“YOU HAVEN’T LIVED UNTIL YOU’VE FOUND SOMETHING WORTH DYING FOR.” MLK






Dear Families--
I spent a great deal of time reviewing videos outlining the Civil Rights Movement of the '50s and '60s in preparation for our discussion about Martin Luther King (1929-1968).  I found them particularly moving--in part because I recall what it was like living in the deep south from 1957 to 1964. Though I was a young child in 1957 when my family moved there from Vermont's Northeast Kingdom, I vividly remember segregation. There were no black children enrolled at my school. Access to public toilets and water fountains was determined by the color of our skin. Black and white children did not live in the same neighborhoods nor did they often play together in the same streets. As disturbing as those times were for the people who lived through them--their ultimate value has been in reminding us how our country has struggled in defining "freedom" and "equality." Our discussion about the Civil Rights Movement was time well spent. Ask your child to tell you about what they learned today.

Students: See how much you learned by completing the interactive timeline found here.
~
I keep trying to find interesting ways for the kids to learn important concepts in Social Studies--after all, the key to our future is in understanding our past...



Martin Luther King image:  http://seattletimes.com/art/mlk/index.jpg